Tuesday, July 25, 2006

Oh blogger, how I loathe thee

It took me two dozen hours yesterday morning to update my blog. Here's the message I got around 10:45am on Monday as I tried to publish a post:

"Error. We apologize for the inconvenience, but we are unable to process your request at this time. Our engineers have been notified of this problem and will work to resolve it."


It's time for me to move on, leave blogger behind and port my thought-provoking posts to another blog tool.

I've used blogger since 1999. I continue to use it today because I love that it shows I've been a member since 2000. It's like a badge of honour for me to say that I've been blogging for 6-years (should be 7).

Blogger was the first on the market and I enjoyed the freedom of posting my thoughts whenever I felt like it. I went through the growing pains with Evhead who had to ask us for donations to buy more servers to keep up with the growth. It was a labour of love for Pyra Labs and I laboured with them.

Then, they were acquired by Google in (I believe) 2003. I shouted for joy thinking that with the big name would bring much powerful servers and more resources.

Instead, it's brought nothing but headaches. There are constant outages, lost posts, server disconnections, on and on it goes.

I now grow tired of blogger. It's the one resource that Google totally sucks at. So, I'm now on a quest to port my blog to another service.

I need your help. Should I go with Typepad, Wordpress or Movable Type (is this one still around)? What are the benefits of each? Which one do you like and why? How can I port all my posts and comments to the new service without losing anything? Post your comments below.

Technorati Tags: , , , , ,