Tuesday, August 29, 2006

Ron Moore at Podcast Expo

In 30-days, I'll be making my way down to southern California for the Podcast & Portable Media Expo. While I still have to book my flight and hotel room, I'm one of the featured speakers at this event so I will be there.

And now, I can brag to anyone who will listen that I will be sharing the same stage as Ron Moore. Well, not directly, but we'll be at the expo on the same day presenting information on podcasting to a hungry audience, albeit 6-hours apart.

Shall I scream for excitement now or when I meet him? Probably now so I don't act like a bumbling fool or turn to gel when I finally shake hands with the man that I consider a sci fi genius. I'll take pictures, I promise.

For those of you who don't know (which is probably the majority of you reading this), I love Battlestar Galactica (BG). Love it! I love the show so much that I named the corporate arm of my company after the fictional planet on the show (plus, it's a variation in spelling of my astrological sign - that's what I tell those not versed in all things BG).

Ron Moore is the genius who brought the BG franchise back to life. I've seen the series from the 1970s and 1980s, and in one word - BORING. However, under Ron's direction, the re-imagined series that debuted on The Sci Fi channel 2-years ago is by far a ratings and cult hit.

What Ron has done so well is use podcasting to answer fans' questions about where the series is going. He also takes the time to explain why he chose to take a certain direction with a character or why a storyline turned out the way it did. He totally "gets it" when it comes to using social media - in particular podcasting - to engage in a dialogue with the fans of BG.

If you're looking for a podcasting conference to attend where you can learn everything and anything about podcasting, I highly encourage you to make your way to the Podcast & Portable Media Expo. And look me up while you're down there.

Technorati Tags: , , , ,